Bierocks - Bierock RecipeIt's not difficult or expensive to make your own bierocks. Don't worry - you do not have to be an executive chef to do this! Basic ingredients are ground beef, onion and cabbage. You could make your own dough or even buy one of those ready-to-bake doughs!
Here is a Bierock Recipe that uses a ready-to-bake dough:
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lg. onion, diced
6 to 7 c. shredded cabbage
Salt and pepper to taste
A sweet roll dough
- Season meat with some salt and paper. Brown the meat and onions in a deep skillet.
- Add shredded cabbage and cook until cabbage is done, stirring occasionally.
- Roll the dough out and cut the dough in 4-inch circles or 4-inch squares.
- Fill the dough circle or square with a 1/3 cup cabbage, onion and meat filling.
- Bring opposite corners together in center. Press open edges together until surface is sealed.
- Turn bierocks smooth side up on cookie sheet.
- Let set for 15 minutes and bake at 350 degrees until brown. Serve hot.
Yield: approximately 2 dozen bierocks
Here is another bierock recipe where you make the dough from scratch:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 c. onion, chopped
4 c. cabbage, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
- Brown ground beef, onion, cabbage, salt and pepper.
- Roll out dough and cut into large circles.
- Put 1/4 cup meat mixture in center of dough. Pinch closed.
- Bake until browned, approximately 20 minutes, at 375 degrees.
Dough for Bierocks:
2 pkgs. yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 c. warm milk
4 c. flour
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. warm water
1/4 c. butter, softened
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set in warm place.
- Add warm milk, butter and salt; let stand for 10 minutes with yeast mixture in it.
- Add flour and sugar. Let double for 50 minutes.
Here is a different rendition of bierocks - the Bierock Casserole!
1 1/2 - 2 lbs. ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 sm. head cabbage, shredded
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans crescent rolls
2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown ground beef and onion; drain. Add cabbage to mixture and stir still soft. Add soup to mixture and stir.
- Line bottom of a 9"x13" pan with 1 can of crescent rolls (roll out flat). Top rolls with ground beef and cabbage mixture.
- Top with cheddar cheese and top cheese with second can of crescent rolls, pinch top together.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Casserole may be frozen.
Another bierock casserole recipe:
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and pressed dry or 1 cabbage
2 (8 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent rolls
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Brown onion and ground beef in a large skillet over medium high heat; drain extra fat out of skillet, then stir in drained sauerkraut or cabbage.
- Heat through and set aside.
- Press 1 package of crescent roll dough into the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Spread beef mixture on top, then lay 2nd package of crescent roll dough over the top of the beef mixture.
- Press dough seams together and sprinkle all with cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Or just get the bierock from the Fresno Bakery!